Sunday, October 25, 2009

Lesson 39: What did you learn from Section 138?

I wish there was a way for me to reproduce the class discussion here, but that, unfortunately, is not possible. I do want to thank everyone that has been participating in class, though. I honestly learn so much from all the ideas and insights that you share, even if I don't mention them specifically here. I also know that not everyone feels comfortable speaking out in a class of this size. I do hope that all of you are thinking and feeling the Spirit during the discussions, even if you don't vocalize those thoughts and feelings.

I posed the question, "What touched or inspired you in Section 138?" I was especially touched by the insight of one class member who wondered how it must have felt for Joseph F. Smith to see his own father Hyrum there as one of "the noble and great ones" (see v. 53-56). Another person talked about a beautiful truth to be learned from this same passage--that the spirits not yet born to earth and those of the righteous who had already passed from this life mingled together. It is apparent from these verses that those who had progressed further assisted in the training and teaching of those who would be born at a later time.

A question came up during the discussion about what happens to those who reject the Gospel in this life. I love how clear Section 138 is on this topic! In verses 57-59, it becomes apparent that the Gospel will be preached to all in the Spirit World. Those who have not repented in this life will be given the chance to do so then, although they will be responsible to pay the "penalty for their transgressions" instead of taking advantage of Christ's sacrifice in their behalf. As we discussed this idea, I was struck by the amazing love and long-suffering God offers us. As someone in the class put it, he gives us so many chances to repent in this life, then keeps on giving us chances afterwards. This reminds me so much of the words of Ammon in Alma 26:16:
"Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his mercy, and of his long-suffering towards the children of men? Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel."
So, now I ask the question of you--what did you learn from Section 138?

2 comments:

  1. The burning feeling I recieved was for the importance to provide my children with a home that is welcoming to the spirit. A place where they can ponder and recieve promptings.
    What a great lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Brecca!

    Making our homes like that is such an important and challenging task, isn't it? I must admit I get discouraged sometimes. What are some of the things you do to bring the Spirit into your home?

    ReplyDelete