Sunday, November 1, 2009

Lesson 40: "Finding Joy in Temple and Family History Work"

I missed class today because of family illness, so I would love it if someone could give a recap of the Gospel Doctrine lesson for those who weren't able to attend. I would also appreciate any comments on what you thought about and learned on this topic.

Personally, I've always felt a little guilty about not getting into family history research like my mom, aunt, brother, and husband do (or have done at different points in their lives). I tried to make myself feel good about tediously searching through records, reminding myself that this was IMPORTANT, that people were WAITING for this. It wasn't working, though.

One day, I had a breakthrough. I decided IT WAS GOING TO BE OKAY for me to feel that this aspect of family history research was tedious. I realized that different people have different strengths and interests. Some people enjoy the thrill of the hunt, the aspect of mystery, the exultant feeling of victory when information is found and another name can be submitted. Me? I find more satisfaction in the personal aspects of family history--journals, memoirs, oral histories, photos, and the like. Although searching for names is a very important part of family history, it is not the only part.

Today I began a new project in this vein--recording my parents' oral histories, then transcribing and editing them into a book. I have the equipment, skills, and motivation to work on this project (though time is another issue!), so I'm going to do it. Not everyone finds this aspect of family history interesting. Many might find the transcription and editing processes tedious, but I love it! Just another example of different gifts working together to make a complete whole.

So, how do you find joy in temple and family history work?

No comments:

Post a Comment