I have been thinking a lot lately about what Gospel Doctrine class is and what it could be. In the midst of this thinking, I was touched by an article in the most recent Ensign about using the Internet as a tool for sharing the Gospel. I have also been wondering if, in our emphasis on sharing that Gospel with those outside the Church, we don't sometimes forget about the equal importance of sharing it with each other within the Church. Long story short, all of these thoughts came together in my vision for this blog.
I welcome your comments and insights. This will be a work in progress, but from the very beginning I hope it will be a place where we can thoughtfully and respectfully discuss the doctrines of the Gospel, "that all may be edified together" (D&C 84:110).
Teaching ‘within’ the Church is so true. If we are left to ourselves without meeting “oft” as counseled by the Almighty, we will likely become beguiled, that is diverted, from the fullness of the Gospel. Paul dealt with that same issue in his travels in that different small congregations of believers would have different ideas about principles of the Gospel and he would need to bring them back to the truth. Even the Almighty Himself had to do that with the Nephites. In III Nephi the first thing that He did was to tell them who He was and showed them His credentials. The people then witness for themselves physically that He Is the Resurrected Lord. Then He gave power to Nephi and others to baptize and taught them how to baptize so that “there shall be no disputations among” them “as there have hitherto been.” The Gospel Doctrine class is a powerful, testimony building forum that assists us, as members, to stay to the truth. It has been for me a joy to know that each Sunday I can attend Gospel Doctrine class.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your insight! I agree that it is easy for us to get off course gradually if we're not careful. I hope that our discussions in class and on this blog will serve to uplift and strengthen each other and, as you said, help us "stay to the truth".
ReplyDelete