Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Getting the Most from Gospel Doctrine Class

One night, when I was serving as a missionary in Saint Petersburg, Russia, I had a particularly vivid and memorable dream. Now, at that time, the nearest temple for the members in Saint Petersburg to attend was in Sweden. Although in terms of distance that would be like us needing to travel to the temple in St. George, Utah, it also involved crossing two international borders as well as using several different, expensive, and inconvenient forms of transportation. As a result, relatively few of the members had been to the temple at all, and almost none had ever been able to go back. Once or twice a year, though, a temple trip would be organized, and some of the members would be able to go.

Missionaries, of course, never went on these trips, but in my dream, I was able to go. I was with several members who were attending for the very first time, as well as one brother who had been back to the temple many, many times. During our entire journey, this brother tried to express to those first-time-attenders just what a wonderful experience they were going to have. He described the beautiful grounds of the temple, the inspiring architecture, and the feeling of peace that he always experienced there. The others' sense of happy anticipation grew and grew as we traveled closer to the temple.

When we finally arrived, we all stood in front of the temple and just looked at it for a moment.

"Didn't I tell you it would be wonderful?" this brother asked. We all agreed that it was, and then we entered.

As the others were presenting their recommends at the desk, I looked around and noticed that he had not come in with us. I waited for a few minutes, and still he didn't come. So, I went back out and looked around for him. He was strolling around the grounds with a contented look on his face, taking in the beauty around him.

"Aren't you coming?" I asked. "We're waiting for you inside."

He looked at me with amazement. "You mean . . ." he said slowly, "you can go INSIDE?"

Now, of course this was just a dream. It seems ludicrous to think that anyone would repeatedly go to all the effort and expense of traveling to the temple just to see a beautiful building. But over the years, this dream has come back to my mind as a parable for how we miss out on the full blessings available to us in many aspects of the Gospel.

As I prepared my lesson for last Sunday, I felt strongly impressed to apply this parable to Gospel Doctrine class. Do we understand the full blessings available to us through studying and discussing the scriptures together? Do we figuratively (or literally!) stand outside the class, not realizing what we could be receiving if only we would enter the doors?

I decided to spend the first part of the class discussing what the purposes of Gospel Doctrine class are and why. This is the list I came up with ahead of time (though the one that came out in the discussion was not exactly the same):
  • Teach doctrine. Why? To bring each other to Christ. (See Alma 31:5 and Alma 36:26.)
  • Invite the Spirit. Why? The Holy Ghost is the true teacher, and without his influence, nothing will be actually taught. (See D&C 50:13-22.)
  • Increase love for and understanding of the scriptures. Why? That's where the answers are! (See John 5:39 and 2 Nephi 32:3.)
  • Help each other apply the truths of the Gospel to real life. Why? In order to know, we need to do. (See John 7:17.)
  • Teach the history of the Church (understanding that all scriptures give accounts of the Church at different periods of history). Why? To "gain appreciation for the past, strength for the present, and hope for the future" (Doctrine and Covenants and Church History Teacher's Manual, p. v).
  • Share personal experiences and insights. Why? To edify each other. (See D&C 88:122.)
In the course of the discussion, the idea of doctrine changing us and our hearts came out. I was also impressed by someone's comment that we share personal experiences so that we don't feel alone. This led to the need for fellowship with the saints and the way that it strengthens us, and the importance of creating a close relationship with each other as a ward so that others will want to join us. (I also talked about the meaning and significance of the word "edify," but I feel that deserves a post all its own. So, more on that tomorrow!)

Of course, I can't do justice to the full discussion, but it was an edifying one for me. I know I felt the Spirit testifying of the truths we shared, and I hope others did, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment